Stats.

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Home is wherever I'm with you...

Good evening, my wonderful ones. I've realised I've been quite busy lately so I haven't managed to post much on here, let alone have any free time for any of my actual writing that needs to be done! So I thought I'd give you an update on my last couple of weeks.

Last week was reading week which meant that none of the psychology students had lectures. This week was supposedly one where, in theory, we would read the entire time and catch up on work - I decided to go home. Now, I couldn't go home with my friend Shana at lunchtime because I had a tutorial in the afternoon. I was particularly proud of myself after this for two reasons: 

1. In this tutorial, I had to give a presentation. I was really nervous because we hadn't had many tutorials yet, so I didn't really know my group or my tutor all too well and I didn't know if they'd be an awful audience or not. It turns out they were absolutely brilliant and supportive and helpful. Everyone was as nervous as each other, so we all tried to be considerate. I wasn't too sure if they'd understand why I chose the topic I chose... the likelihood is that they'd think I was a really depressive person who doesn't think about anything happy (my topic was suicide ideation and comorbidity with mental disorders - Thibodeau et al (2013)). I was a bit less concerned when everyone seemed to think that mine was a really relevant study & they asked lots of questions, yay. 

2. I was actually quite panicky about going on a coach by myself. Not just because that isn't something I've done for 3 and a half hours before but because generally I get quite paranoid about missing my stop. I didn't miss my stop! I was so unbelievably happy to see my dad waiting for me when I got off the coach. I didn't realise how much I'd missed everyone until I saw them!

So for the first weekend I told my family to pretend I hadn't come home yet so I could get all my work done out of the way. I read 13 chapters & wrote the first draft of my classical conditioning report which I'm actually quite happy with now. I wasn't sure how I'd write it but it sounds like I know what I'm talking about! For the rest of my week at home, I went on plenty of dog walks up the fields with my family, helped my sister rehearse lines for the production of Godspell she's in this month and next, we made butterbeer cupcakes which turned out brilliantly & I got to see some friends. Sadly, one lovely lad I didn't get to see because his interview that afternoon ran majorly late, but he's gonna come down to visit me at university soon! It's absolutely incredible to realise that people were missing me too and that when I came back, they were really, really wanting to see me. Mel even wrote me a song to the tune of 'Hey There Delilah' to tell me how much she missed me! Now I've got that written in the notes on my phone so I can read it and smile from time to time... as cheesy as that sounds. 

My grandparents took us out for dinner on the Friday. That was actually delicious. I had white wine chicken casserole followed by chocolate brownie & pistachio ice cream - MMMMMM. 

I didn't know if I wanted to go back to university after having such a beautiful week at home! I was absolutely certain that as soon as I got back, I'd be tied down with lots of work and stress etc. but I'm doing alright. 

Obviously, last night was bonfire night. Apparently, Plymouth's bonfire night is one of the best in the country and I could tell why! The rain didn't deter us, I met up with Shana, her flatmates and some of our friends... we enjoyed the music, watched the fireworks and the massive bonfire, took plenty of photos (although, you'll have to forgive how blurry mine are!) and then when we started to get cold, we headed to Mousetrap. It was a shame we didn't get any toffee apples before we left but the queues were massive! Anyway, for anyone who doesn't know... Mousetrap is kinda a pub/bar type place. They let students play pool for free, so we went down to the basement and did just that. Another fact about me is that I'm terrible at pool, so when I won a game for once, I was pretty damn happy.



We then went to Caffeine Club, a coffee house/restaurant down the end of the road and I shared a two pint milky bar milkshake and mozzarella cheesy chips with Carrie. We must have stayed there for ages because I didn't get back to my flat until the early hours! We just had discussions about all the films they're gonna make me watch that I've missed out on, how we're all really excited for living in houses next year in our little groups and weirdly... about our primary school PE lessons (mine were definitely less violent than others. We played quidditch and one of my friends would do hurling)!

I apologise if this was a bit brief, but I'm off to the library now like a dedicated student, haha. I hope everyone had as lovely a week as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment